My inspiration for this recipe was from a salad I had a while ago from ‘The Natural Kitchen’ in Aldersgate. That had rocket and pink grapefruit in it, and I’ve slightly adapted it in this recipe. This makes for a delicious lunch for one (a real treat to take to work), a sexy starter, or as a really nice side salad to serve with a main dish (just scale up the quantities accordingly). Feel free to experiment with this, adding in or swapping certain ingredients and really making this one your own!
Ingredients (serves 1 as lunch):
- 1 blood orange
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 large handfuls of rocket
- 20g crumbled goats cheese
- OR 10g parmesan shavings
- 75ml-100ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- Pour the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar into a pan, mix together, and bring to the boil. Stick the extractor on if you have it – the smell gets very acidic. Reduce the sauce until you have a thick syrup which you are still able to pour.
- Cut the skin off the blood orange with a knife. Don’t peel as you would a normal orange, as this leaves pith on the outside of the orange. Once all of the skin and pith is off, slice horizontally into circles.
- Slice the avocado into long strips.
- Combine all ingredients except some of the goats cheese/parmesan, and the dressing. Place the salad mixture on the plate, scatter over the remaining cheese, and drizzle over the balsamic glaze. Season to taste. Serve with some warm crusty bread.
As always, if you give this a go, be sure to let me know how you get on. If you don’t already, follow @OTCooks_Eats on instagram, and have a great weekend!