When and why: Occasionally, if I’m not super tired or hungover, I’ll treat myself to a nice breakfast/brunch, where I’ll take a bit of time on what I’ll eat. On such mornings, this is my go-to meal: Scrambled eggs and smashed avocado with chilli and lime on top of sour dough bread, served with salad and roasted cherry tomatoes.
The breakdown: The avocados and scrambled eggs offer a lovely creamy texture on top of the crunchy sourdough bread, and the richness of the eggs is complimented well by the tang of the lime and chilli in the avocados. The sweetness of the tomatoes on the side also really helps to bring the whole dish together. Give it a try if you’ve got a bit of time this weekend. It was beautifully sunny (somehow – it’s England!) when I made it and so we ate it outside with some fresh orange juice and a cup of coffee, Al Fresco styley, and there was nothing better.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- Dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 loaf of fresh sourdough bread
- 8 eggs
- 4 Small handfuls of peppery salad (Pea shoots look lovely with this)
- About 20 cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Lots of salt and pepper
- Olive Oil
- 8 rashers of smoked back bacon
- Preheat the oven to the grill setting, and pre-heat a griddle pan to a very high heat. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk together until combined. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Remove the skin from the avocados, and roughly chop/hack the flesh until there are large chunks (you dont want a puree). Don’t worry about being precise, rough and ready is fine. Place avocados into a bowl, and squeeze over the juice of the lime, and add in the dash of tabasco. Season well with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on a tray (keeping them on the vine), and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, place the bacon on a tray.
- Cut 8 thick slices from the sourdough loaf. Drizzle with olive oil, and set aside.
- Place the bacon and the tomatoes under the grill, and cook for 5 mins, although this time largely depends on your grill. You want your tomatoes to start to colour, and the bacon to be crispy, so make sure you check regularly, and turn when needed.
- Place a non-stick pan onto a low-medium heat and add a large knob of butter. Once the pan is up to a low temperature, add in 2/3 of the egg mixture. Fold the egg mixture through as they start to cook, and once the eggs in the pan are nearly done, add the last 1/3 in, and repeat the process. Take your time with this, as you dont want an omelette. The whole process should take about 6-8 mins. By cooking them on a low heat without milk, you will get lovely creamy, rich eggs with some parts nice and runny, and some slightly more firm.
- Whilst the eggs are cooking, place the sourdough on the griddle pan, and turn when you see black line char marks on the bread.
- Once everything is cooked, take the bacon and the tomatoes out of the oven and assemble. Place the 2 pieces of sourdough down first, then spread on a generous layer of the avocado mixture. Place a portion of the scrambled eggs on top, and layer the salad leaves on top. Finally, top with the 2 rashers of bacon, and place the cherry tomatoes on the side. Enjoy with fresh orange juice or a nice coffee.